Insect infestation?

Hello, I’m hoping you can tell me what the reddish dots on my poant’s leaves are. I just noticed them when I put on my reading glasses to see what was crawling around on the plant after I watered it—tiny ants. They don’t seem to be attracted to the dots—I hoped they would eat them. The plant seems healthy, but I don’t want these dots to be eggs that hatch and destroy the plant and others nearby. I look forward to receiving your advice!

Baltimore County Maryland houseplants scale insects pest insects and mites

The reddish dots you are noticing on your plant is a scale insect, most likely brown scale which is very common on houseplants. They produce a sweet substance called honeydew as they suck the plant sap. Ants do like to feed on honeydew and is perhaps the reason you are finding ants on the plant. Sometimes honeydew drips on the floor underneath the plant. Please see the information from our website for more information, http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/scale-insects-houseplants

dr