How to kill/remove Bermuda grass from the lawn

Asked March 16, 2019, 11:20 AM EDT

How can I kill/remove Bermuda grass from the lawn. it has taken over the lawn between the sidewalk and the curb. I do not want it to get into the main yard. And then how do I re-establish the lawn again. I want to avoid hiring a lawn service if possible. I want to not use or minimize chemical pesticides and avoid the cost of having them come out 2-3 times a year. I would like to do it organically

Harford County Maryland weeds plant care bermudagrass weed grasses killing bermudagrass organically

Bermudagrass is very hard to kill because of its extensive root system and aggressive growth habit.

Normally, it is killed with glyphosate (sometimes 2 applications are necessary to get it all), and then the area is reseeded. This is a process of renovation best begun in mid-August, so that the reseeding can be in late August to early September. (Best time of year for seeding.)

To do it organically, you could mow on the lowest setting then smother the grass by covering it with black plastic (or cardboard, though that would not work as efficiently.) Pin down the edges of the plastic so that no strands of Bermudagrass escape. Keep it on until the grass is totally dead--not just the top growth. This could take months. The roots will continue to be alive for some time. You can put mulch over the black plastic temporarily if you like, just to make it more visually acceptable.

Search 'bermudagrass' on our website.