Planting 25 foot tall red maple trees

Asked March 14, 2019, 11:40 AM EDT

A landscape person suggested that I buy a 25 foot tall maple tree for the backyard to screen the view of my neighbors house. I read that transplanting large trees causes transplant shock and smaller trees would be a better option. I know that buying the large tomato plants at the big box stores is not worth it as the smaller plants grow fast and produce a lot of fruit. What advice do you have for buying a very large Red Maple tree?

Howard County Maryland red maple native plant care trees maple transplanting mature tree

The rule of thumb is that is takes a tree about 1 year per 1" of caliper to recover from transplanting, i.e. that many years to establish and start growing at a normal rate.

In a situation where instant screening would be achieved by such a large tree, it might make sense.

No matter the tree, water when rain is not copious during the growing season (spring to fall) for at least 2 years. Avoid fertilizing to hasten growth, other than a liquid fertilizer when you plant and then annual top dressing with compost.