ground cover or grasses for sand

Asked March 14, 2019, 10:15 AM EDT

We removed our pool a few years ago and now I have a circle of sand. I am wondering what can be planted there. I read about Creeping Lilyturf (Liriope spicata) but then read that it is invasive. How much of a problem is that? Also where do I find it? I'm going to try to grow some Butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa) there too. I figure anything that grows and fills in the area will help create some organic material and perhaps aid a transition from sand to sandy soil. Any other ideas? Asperigus? Thanks!

Isabella County Michigan groundcover for sandy soil

Hello. The very best thing to do for your sandy area is to add lots of organic matter, especially compost. Depending on the size of your circle you could order a yard or two from a local company to spread on the area. It is a good idea to stay away from bulk topsoil since the quality can be variable. Then continue to add another 2 or 3 inches every year and your plants will be very happy! If possible try not to plant anything the first year you do this since it will be a constant struggle to keep the area moist for your new plants. Liriope spicata can be an aggressive plant, especially farther south. Check with your local nursery for availability - they might be able to get you a flat of smaller plants when you are ready. Butterfly weed is a good plant if you have lots of sunshine in your circle area. The most important thing is to get some good soil going in that area, invest your funds in that and you will be happy with the results in the long run.