Flowering Shrubs Suggested

Asked March 14, 2019, 8:10 AM EDT

We have a front flower bed that gets almost full sun. We are looking to plant some flowering shrubs. We are wondering if Dwarf Azaleas or what other shrub would work. We are looking to put in only 2 to 4 shrubs.

Sussex County Delaware shrubs for sun flowering shubs

Azaleas are not a great choice for full sun and though are lovely in spring bloom, they do not offer much interest for the rest of they year. Are you adding these among existing plants? Would you like to consider plants that add multi-season interest? Is the area moist or dry? I assume that you are interested in something that will stay low. Let me know the answers to these questions and if assumption re height is correct so that I can make some recommendations.

Are you adding these among existing plants? No the bed has a variety of unknown filler bushes but when shaped look fine. We have a space in the front of this bed that is 8 x 5 feet in area lots of sun and without rain it gets a bit dry.

Would you like to consider plants that add multi-season interest? Absolutely and something I can plant myself. We are in Lewes about a mile west of the Canal by the UD Marine Camputs.

Is the area moist or dry? Dry when it gets full sun.

I assume that you are interested in something that will stay low. Yes and all year interest with not much maintenance again I want to plant my self.

Additionally, we planted some Tullips just to try it. What do you suggest in 3 or 4 types of bulbs that flower for about a six month span of color. Again I will dig myself.

For small shrubs you might consider
Dwarf female Winterberry (Ilex verticilata 'Berry Poppins') Needs a male 'Mr. Poppins' in the area for pollination and berry production
Bush Honeysuckle (Diervilla lonicera) such as Nightglow™ or Kodiak™
Dwarf Spirea such as 'Rainbow Fizz™'
Dwarf Hydrangea paniculata such as Flare™ or Bobo™
Hydrangea quercifolia 'Sike's Dwarf (Oakleaf Hydrangea)
You might also look at the many color options of Drift® Roses

Some bulbs to consider along with your tulips are
Dwarf Iris
Crocus
Allium (Ornamental Onion)
Muscari armeniasum (Grape Hyacinth)
Puschkinia libanotica (Lebanon Squill)

You can use your browser to look for images online. And I strongly recommend that you visit a garden center in your area such as East Coast Garden Center to talk about your options and get more ideas. Later in the season you may also want to visit the Master Gardener demonstration garden in Georgetown. http://extension.udel.edu/lawngarden/mg/sussex-county/demonstration-garden/

Any commercial enterprise and product references in this response are illustrative only and not endorsements.

One more question if we want to plant Milkweed for the butterflies will there be an issue with the other shrubs.

Also is there another plant in addition to milkweed that would bring along pollinators or hummingbirds.

Thank you

The flowering shrubs and bulbs will attract pollinators. If you want to do something extra for butterflies plant some of their host plants.

Black Swallowtails plant Dill, Parsley and Fennel
Monarchs plant Butterflyweed (Asclepias tuberosa)

Another Garden Center to check out is Inland Bays Garden Center in Frankford, DE. Not an endorsement in favor of any others, but they focus on native plants.

You may also want to consider Goldenrod (Solidago 'Solar Cascade') as a fall blooming, brilliant butterfly magnet.