Poultry processing licensing - small, on farm

Asked March 8, 2019, 10:22 AM EST

We are a small farm in Michigan that raises poultry. We would like to process on farm to sell at the farmers market. I am struggling to find the regulations of the processing facility and inspection. I see that we fall under the federal exemption for less than 1,000/year. But I find no info for the state level. Please help!

Muskegon County Michigan

1 Response

It depends on who you want to sell the poultry to and in what form. If you want to sell the live birds, then process them and are under 1,000/year, that falls under custom exemption and does not need licensing. If you want to sell processed poultry to consumers (i.e. at farmer's market) or to restaurant and institutions, then the poultry must be processed at either a USDA inspected establishment or a Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) licensed facility. Contact MDARD at 800.292.3939 to obtain a list of licensed poultry processors. To become a licensed MDARD poultry processor, the well and septic (or other approved wastewater disposal) must be approved, the facility meet the requirements of MDARD (i.e. washable surfaces (floors, walls, ceilings), three compartment sink, mop sink, etc.) for a Food Establishment license. For more assistance with the licensing process, contact the MSU Product Center (https://www.canr.msu.edu/productcenter/).