Goats Ate Bark Off Pine Tree

Asked March 6, 2019, 12:23 PM EST

My goats have been eating the bark off my pine. Can it be saved? Anything I should do to help it...like wrap it or paint/tar?

Thanks!

Newaygo County Michigan bark damage

It is natural and of no concern if a pine tree sheds its bark. However, it is concerning if a pine tree loses a significant amount of bark for unnatural reasons, such as pest damage, lighting strikes, disease, etc.

So, what should you do if a pine tree has lost significant amounts of bark in your yard? Well, it depends on the extent of the damage, as well as what caused it.

In your case, it appears the goats have inflicted extensive damage not only to the bark, but also to the lower limbs. Cutting down and removing the tree may be your best option. If you decide to replace this tree with another one that is attractive to your goats, you could enclose the tree with a circular fence of chicken wire the diameter of which is large enough that the goats cannot reach the tree.

If the pine tree is especially valuable to you, you might consult with a professional tree removal specialist or a certified arborist to learn more about your options. You can find these folks in the Yellow Pages under "Tree Services."