Yard moss

Asked March 6, 2019, 2:06 AM EST

Hi I was wondering what the best way is to get rid of yard moss for good. Thanks

Benton County Oregon

Moss will grow where conditions are conducive. That means shade, moisture and slightly acidic conditions. In lawns, this can be a difficult task but the best defense to moss is ensuring your grass is healthy and cut to the proper height. In the Willamette Valley, this includes annual lime application (to raise the pH to discourage the moss), annual aeration (to ensure good drainage), and mowing the grass to the appropriate height. In more extreme cases, you may have a build up of thatch that would need to be removed, followed by overseeding to ensure a thick turf. I refer you to this publication from OSU https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/ec1521 which goes into more detail.

Hi Sara
thank you for your response to my question on getting rid of moss, I will give what you said a try, I’m looking forward to getting rid of the moss and replacing it with a nice lawn.
thank you again
Curtis Chilcote