Pet safe moss killer?

Asked March 5, 2019, 2:22 PM EST

My lawn has been taken over by moss this winter, and I am wondering if there is a pet-safe moss killer on the market that won't kill my grass also? I have read your materials on moss control, and I plan to utilize this information to maintain a healthier lawn, but I need to get rid of the moss first. Thank you.

Benton County Oregon pesticide safety moss in lawn toxic to pets

Hello and thanks for your question!

I'm glad you've already done the homework, and you know about maintaining a healthier stand of grass in the future. To knock the moss back now, you may consider chemical control. This page was written by some OSU experts, but be aware that glyphosate will KILL your grass. Iron sulfate (or ferrous ammonium sulfate) may be a good option, as long as you follow the label directions closely. You would look for this chemical on the product label, listed as the active ingredient.
http://bryophytes.science.oregonstate.edu/page22.htm

To minimize risk to pets, follow label directions and minimize their exposure. After granules or sprays have a chance to break up and penetrate the soil (or moss layer!) - there is a lower potential for exposure to the pets. However, iron and sulfur are low in toxicity at low doses.

Thanks again for reaching out to OSU!
Kaci