My Baby Ball Python can't retract her tongue fully

Asked March 4, 2019, 3:31 PM EST

I normally never use these kinds of websites to ask for questions but since I can't find help anywhere I'll ask here since I hope that someone will have an answer .

My baby ball python is a pastel champagne and sadly has a bit of wobble but she looks healthy and eats fine in general. What does cause me a bit of concern however, is that sometimes she is not able to retract her tongue fully and leaves the tip of it hanging out of her mouth. I have thought of the possibility of it getting stuck because of the tightness of the scales on top of her mouth. But it also seems like her fork is somehow stuck together in a way. I hope it's nothing too concerning. Thanks for reading

Outside United States reptile husbandry python regius ball python

Thank you for your question. I am not a veterinarian, and can't provide a diagnosis or suggest treatment for anything other than basic husbandry issues.

The wobble you refer to is often seen in particular ball python morphs, the Champagne morph being one of them. Here's a link to a research paper that discusses this condition in the spider morph of the ball python:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262937861_Neurologic_dysfunction_in_a_ball_python_python_re...

If your snake only occasionally leaves the tip of its tongue extended for a brief period, this is probably not a problem. I have seen this occasionally in numerous species.If, however, this is a regular occurrence, then you should have your snake examined by an experienced reptile veterinarian.

I hope this information helps, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim