English Yew

Asked March 4, 2019, 10:12 AM EST

Is there a species of baccata adpressa ( English yew ) that grows only to 5' - 6' high? If so, what is its exact name? Will it grow in Charles County Maryland? Will it grow in partial shade? What ph is required?

Charles County Maryland plant selection shrub

For more information we suggest that you contact a large nursery or garden center for the cultivars you are looking for regarding specific heights and growth characterstics.
There is also a reference called the Manual of Woody Landscape Plants by Michael Dirr. This book offers identification, characteristics, etc. You may be able to find this in your local library.

Thank you for your help. The reason that I asked about the various evergreens is that the garden books I consulted quoted different statistics and I did not know what to believe. I do not want to buy the wrong plants.

There are two cultivars of Taxus baccata that grow to the height you are looking for. Taxus baccata 'Repandens' grows 2' to 6' high and is considered one of the hardiest forms of English yew. They take full sun to partial shade. Taxus baccata 'Washingtonii' grows to a height of 5'-6' and can take sun to shade. They can tolerate acid to alkaline soils (pH ranging from 6 - 8).

ckc