Willamette Valley shade-loving evergreen bush?

Asked March 2, 2019, 12:36 PM EST

Hello! I am hoping that you experts might suggest a good candidate native for me. I have a mostly-full shaded area of my yard, about 12' wide and 3' deep, where I would very much like to plant a native plant. I am hoping for a plant that would provide privacy, ideally year round. The most perfect plant would be 1. Native to the Willamette Valley (Portland proper is where I am) 2. Love shade 3. Grow at least 6' tall 4. Evergreen 5. Dense enough to provide privacy. Does such a native plant exist? If not a native, are there any non-invasive varieties that grow well in these conditions which meet the wishlist? Thank you! Sarah

Multnomah County Oregon native plants

Thanks for your question, Sarah. I think the best place for you to start is by reviewing many possibilities described and pictured in this Metro publication: https://www.oregonmetro.gov/native-plants-willamette-valley-yards-booklet You can download it for ongoing reference. If you have more questions, please write back!