White Mites

Asked March 1, 2019, 5:28 PM EST

I think it's time you guys in the field stop living with blinders on and start acknowleding the fact that all living things adapt. You speak about how mites cannot live without a host. Well we humans are their host. I have had something for almost 7 years now that is relentlessly trying to get on my skin and scalp. We had Doves nesting under the eaves of our rental and apparently these things got into the carpet, where they have no problem living, and then crawled onto me, up my back, and into my hair. Within a week I had a multitude of tiny legs turning and twisting that reoccured every 5-7 days. They commute up and down from the carpet by jumping. White Vinegar seems to help on skin and vacuuming helps in the environment. My question is what are the other tools to use to get rid of these things, and what are they?
Pest control WILL NOT spray for mites and Medical Doctors will not acknowledge their existance.
I have plenty of samples now that the weather has gotten cold here. Who actually has the knowledge base and know how to help in a situation like this. I will bring them the samples.

Wisconsin

I'm sorry to hear about your medical issues and wish you a speedy recovery. You are in Wisconsin, so the Wisconsin Cooperative Extension may be able to assist you with confirming the identification of a suspected mite or problem with other insects.

It all comes down to this. If you cannot produce an actual mite specimen, then treatment for mites is likely a waste of your time and money. Mites are not that difficult to collect with a piece of tape or brush dipped in alcohol and transferred to a small vial or bottle. They can be very small, about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. But they are quite visible, especially when moving. If you cannot produce a mite, you will have to consider other explanations for this long-running problem.

See https://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets/biting-stinging/others/ent-3006-2/