Managing bare root hardwood planting

Asked February 27, 2019, 9:18 AM EST

I am planning on getting some bare root shagbark hickory plants for my property. These typically arrive for spring planting. The area where I plan to place them is not easy to provide the care and watering they would require. What I would like to do is plant them in a large container (say a five gallon pail, with drainage) to have them develop a better root ball. Then, come late sommer or early fall, move them to their final location so they can “settle in” for the winter. If so, do you have any suggestions for the planting material I should use in the containers? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Shiawassee County Michigan tree transplanting

Hello. Drainage is definitely a priority for whatever container you use. Also make sure the container is large enough because the roots should not be ‘squished’ into too small a space. Another important consideration is to not plant too deep-planting too deep causes girdling roots and secondary roots that will be detrimental to the trees health. Look for the root flare and make sure that is at the soil line. The media should be a good quality potting soil, not garden soil because you want good drainage for the container. Hope that helps!