White oak project

We worked with Tualatin SWCD to get about 3 acres of our land planted in white oaks and understory plants in 2015. In1985 we were given a baby tree which we were told was an Oregon white oak. However, years later it has turned out to be an English oak, long acorns with very long stems. Now we have English oaks coming up around the place. Will they be a problem to our white oaks? Do we need to cut down our English oak and all the babies? Thanks. Lark Brandt/ Mark Nelson

Washington County Oregon forestry oak ecological restoration oak restoration

Hi there,
I am told that English oak (Quercus robur) can be very prolific with seedlings, to the point of becoming invasive in some situations. Without knowing the details or specific goals of your project with the SWCD, I am assuming that you hope to have Oregon white oak dominate the area eventually. If that is the case, I think I would probably pull out the English oak seedlings, but leaving the big one is probably okay (it does provide habitat, and a food source for the squirrels, obviously!). You might want to check in with the Tualatin SWCD to see if they have any thoughts.