Best tomatoes to grow in container

Last summer I spoke to Master Gardeners at Lents Farmers Market. I told them the difficulty I was having growing tomatoes on my balcony. The gardener pointed out a tomato that was at the kids education booth that was in a container and it had several clusters of tomatoes, not cherry size but not huge either. They told me the name of it, but I can't find where I wrote it down. Could you tell me good ones to grow in a container? Last year I had only one plant, I think it was a Better Boy, and only got 3 small tomatoes. I live in Portland, my balcony is on the south side of my building and is semi shaded by trees that are several yards away from building.

Multnomah County Oregon

Thanks for your question. I'm wondering if the tomato they recommended was the Indigo Rose Tomato,, a description of which is found here: http://smsf-mastergardeners.ucanr.edu/Elkus/Indigo_Rose_Tomato_Trial/

Since it was developed in Oregon, they might well have had information about it, and the 'testers' sounded enthused! Think I'll try one myself.

Other things to consider include planting your tomato in a large enough container. A 24-inch diameter pot is recommended. Also, I'm not sure what semi-shaded means but tomatoes need a full day of sun. The fact that it is facing south is a good thing, though. Good luck!