Hazelnut sprays

What sprays are commonly used in hazelnut orchards? Are they likely to harm my bees?

Washington County Oregon bees pesticides hazelnuts

Hello and thanks for your question.

Just last year, OSU faculty updated a handy document about pest management challenges (and management practices) in Oregon hazelnuts.

https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/catalog/files/project/pdf/em9223.pdf

You'll find a list of available products and use patterns in this document. Any insecticide has the potential to harm honey bees, and many fungicides have demonstrated sub-lethal effects on bees (impaired immune systems, etc.). To learn more about their specific hazards, I recommend another handy OSU publication.

How to Reduce Bee Poisoning from Pesticides
https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/catalog/files/project/pdf/pnw591.pdf

This document has a handy table with many active ingredients listed, and their relative risk to bees.

I hope you're able to initiate a constructive conversation with your neighbor so that you can coordinate your efforts. With bees next door, there may be some necessary changes in practices to avoid applications when trees/weeds are in bloom, among other potential actions.

Thanks again - Kaci

Hi Kaci,
Thanks for the quick reply. I had no idea that there were so many pesticides. Do you have a booklet that shows the same list that the website lists? My printer isn’t up to the job. I will chat with my neighbor the filbert farmer about what sprays they use. We are friends so it hopefully will be a productive conversation. Thanks again, and I would appreciate that list if possible. We live in the middle of farm country, so it will be helpful. Lark Brandt.

Hello again Lark,
I'm sorry I'm not able to send you the information by mail. The best information will come from your neighbor, anyway. And you can review the document on the internet as needed to spur your conversation.
Extension resources are not the same as they used to be, unfortunately.
Still - I wish you the best!
Kaci