Lake dynamics

Asked February 18, 2019, 12:49 AM EST

My sister lives on a lake the size of which is perhaps 10 acres in northern washington..it's shallow..at most 30 feet deep..during most winters a thin layer of ice forms outward from the shore to cover maybe 30% of its surface..strange patterns appear in the ice..there are 2 or 3 circular patterns in the ice perhaps, I suspect, that may be caused by warm underground springs from the bottom of the lake..they are maybe 30 ft in diameter..more puzzling are very straight grid like patterns in the ice that form outside these circles and enclose them..they are very straight to the point that they appear man made which is not the case since its a small private lake..I have pictures I can send if you have someone that can explain this..thank you so much..it's a curiosity

Clackamas County Oregon

Thank you for your question. The answer is a rather complicated one, but fascinating: https://www.britannica.com/science/lake-ice Hope you enjoy reading about it!