Sassafras are dying

Asked February 17, 2019, 6:25 AM EST

All the young sassafras’s are dying here on the estate around 40 acres mostly woods and now cannot find any young ones, I drove around about a five mile area and no sassafras, their common around here, what has happened to them, the young That was here has dyed

Hopkins County Kentucky

I am amazed that all are dead and gone. Surely if they had died there would still be standing dead. There are several severe diseases that could case a large scale die out. Tubercularia and Nectria cankers for one. A accurate diagnosis would require plant samples be sent via the Christian County Extension Office to the UK Diagnostic laboratory. Has there been some change in the area? Sometimes changes in road ways, mining and farming activities result in flooding of areas that had not occurred before that can be the cause of plant death.