Salmon and parasite

I would like to make salmon lox with wild salmon at home. A regular freezer does not get cold enough to kill parasites. Would dry ice in a cooler kill parasites in the fish that would be eaten as lox

Washington County Oregon food safety food storage

I do not have any research based information on using dry ice. Below is the recommendations for killing parasites in fish. You might try dry ice and use a thermometer to see if you can get the temperature low enough for the recommended number of days.

I would suggest you purchase commercially frozen fish if you want to be sure it is safe to use.

Just remember it is always risky to serve raw and undercooked fish not only because of the parasites but also the bacteria which are not destroyed by freezing.
Thanks for using Ask an Expert
Nellie Oehler

• Freezing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (continuous time); or
  • Freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours;