BANE OF MY EXISTANCE

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii at approx. 1200 ft elevation. I am having a major problem with Himalayan Blackberry plants..They never flower but send out runners and they are taking over my property. I understand that phragmidium violaceum, also called leaf rust fungus will kill the leaves which would be a step forward in eradicating this horrible plant.Mowing or plowing is not an option since the land is very rocky and uneven. Where can I purchase the fungus. I'm sure no one has it here on the island and it would have to be shipped..Thanks for your help..Suzanne Jamison-Wade

Hawaii County Hawaii weed issues

Hello, and thanks for using the Ask an Expert System.

I have not been able to find any commercial source for Phragmidium violaceum. I suggest that your best source of information on controlling Himalayan Blackberry would be the Cooperative Extension Service on your island.

Cooperative Extension provides non-formal science-based education to enrich the lives and livelihood of farmers, consumers and families in Hawaii. As the outreach component of UH Manoa’s College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, CE extends practical applications of science to support local food systems, healthy living, youth development, and the stewardship of natural resources for future generations.

For information on CE and contact information for your local CE office

visit the CE web site.