Disposal of pet ashes in garden.

Is it acceptable to dispose of cremated pet remains in one's garden and, if so, what factors does the homeowner need to consider (soil pH factor or some such, for example). My garden space is fairly small. Your answer is very much appreciated.

Washington County Oregon sustainable gardening and landscaping compost

Scattering of cremation remains only requires consent of the owner. As far as the effect on your soil, it would be treated as any other amendment. Soil pH might be affected but you could easily test the pH of the remains with an inexpensive home test kit (the same you would use for testing soil pH. I suspect the amount of remains is small and depending on where you place them, the effect would likely be temporary. The plants that might be most sensitive would be the acid-loving plants (if the ashes have a high pH.) That would include blueberries, rhododendrons, azaleas, camellias, for example.

Thank you so very much for your prompt reply. It was very helpful and enables me to proceed without anxiety. This is a nice service you provide and I hope it is working well for you, too. I have always telephoned in the past and all the folks who answered were wonderful, too, but this system is good as well.