Help identify this species please?

You may remember I asked about a particular species of snake in August 2017? after receiving your help my family have been made more aware of snakes around the home in the Philippines, however? another species showed up yesterday of which has not been seen before by us or by local residents around us therefore I am hoping we can ask for your help again? I am sending a photo of the remains of this snake and can only apologise that the head had been crushed by our son who felt the need to protect his one year old daughter at the time, this snake appears to be about 5ft in length and at the time it was discovered it was in the process of devouring a frog? he was lead to believe that this was one of the most deadly species, being highly venomous, so took immediate action so I can only apologise for the mutilated head, however, we are hoping that by the rest of the body and colours you or someone you know may stilll be able to identify this species for us? With our thanks for such a great and helpful site you have, Terry Brandon.

Outside United States snakes of the philippines

Hi Terry,

Can you remind me where in the Philippines you are located?

Thanks,

Jim

Hello Jim,
the location is in Lopez, Quezon, it is south of Manila and not quite half way down the main island of Philippines?.. if you refer to a map then where you see the land bulge out to the right below a place called Gumaca then slightly below and right Lopez is in that area? .
i hope this helps you locate our home area? I am not there at the moment, i am in the U.K. but my family keep me up to date with everything daily.
Thank you for looking into our query,
Terry Brandon.

Hi Terry,

Good news! I thought I knew the genus of your snake, but sent it to an authority on Philippine snakes, Dr. Rafe Brown, at the University of Kansas to see if I was correct. He said your snake is Dendrelaphis marenae. The common name is Maren's Bronzeback. It is a non-venomous species.

This species is very common in your area. It is primarily arboreal and feeds on frogs. I haven't been able to find out a lot of information on this species, other than technical literature. Members of the genus Dendrelaphis are found in Pakistan, India, southern China, Indonesia, Philippines, Timor-Leste, Australia, New Guinea and the Solomon Islands.

I hope this information helps. Thank you for your patience and for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim

Hi Jim!
many thanks for your research into this, my family and I appreciate the time and effort put into your work. )))
Terry Brandon

Hi Jim!
Terry Brandon

You're welcome Terry. Contact us anytime.

Jim