Do you know the name of this tomato?

Asked February 9, 2019, 10:42 AM EST

Hi: I was given a tomato from a neighbor about 5 years ago. The tomato was meaty and tasty. I save about 5 seeds (there were prob only about that many in the fruit) Every year since then - I have planted the same tomato plant - from the seeds of a tomato or 2 from the previous year. I have scoured seeds catalogs - pictures online etc - but can't come up with the true name/type of tomato. It's obviously a sauce tomato - the flavor is excellent - and are wonderful eaten fresh or in a caprese - or a grilled cheese! (can't wait for summertime!) My neighbor called the tomato variety "Uncle Tony". The plants are indeterminate and the tomatoes are always the last to harvest. They range in weight from 3/4 lb to 1/4 lb. I would love your thoughts! Let me know if I can provide you any more information. Thank You! Kathy Rizzi

Macomb County Michigan fruits and vegetables gardening horticulture tomatoes

Shape alone is probably not enough to determine a variety/cultivar. There are so many varieties available today. In fact, in the pursuit of a better tomato, some will quickly disappear from the scene as improved tomatoes take their place. Another thing to consider is that the seeds from the mother plant could have been new cultivar themselves. A Michigan gardener, Joseph Tychonievich (https://articles.extension.org/pages/71122/joseph-tychonievich) wrote a book on Plant Breeding for the Home Gardener: How to Create Unique Vegetables and Flowers, showing how easy it can be.

The plant looks like it could be related to the San Marzano, Opalka , Super Italian Paste, or even San Marzano Redorta, indeterminate and longer maturity. If you want to continue with this cultivar, I would suggest you keep collecting seed, and limit cross pollination with other varieties.

I hope this is helpful,