Thermflo in chicken stew

Asked February 6, 2019, 10:38 AM EST

When i make my chicken stew i put 1/4 c flour to thicken it up. I would now like to can it. I would use 1/4 c thermflo instead. Would i be able to can it then? Thank you!

Unicoi County Tennessee food safety family and consumer sciences

Hello! Homemade chicken stew sounds wonderful today - we are at 23 degrees in Kentucky.

However, the National Center for Home Food Preservation does not recommend adding any type of thickening ingredient for home canned soups. Thickened soups would not allow all the ingredients to reach a safe temperature to remove the risk of botulism. Instead, they recommend canning the soup without thickeners, and then adding a thickener once you open the jars and get ready to serve. Flour or cornstarch would be two examples you might want to use.

Here is the information from the National Center for Home Food Preservation.

"Soups:

Vegetable, dried bean or pea, meat, poultry, or seafood soups can be canned. These directions are intended for use with ingredients that already have separate canning recommendations for those foods.

Caution: Do not add noodles or other pasta, rice, flour, cream, milk or other thickening agents to home canned soups. If dried beans or peas are used, they must be fully rehydrated first. "

Here is a link to more information.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nchfp/factsheets/soups.html

Thanks for your question, and good luck with your home canning!