Carpet Beetles

Asked February 5, 2019, 9:11 AM EST

I’ve been dealing with carpet beetle larvae for about 5 months. Have not found the source. Have vacuumed & cleaned my house top to bottom. Nothing in my cabinets either. For the first time today I found an adult on my kitchen wall. I’m at my wits end. Any ideas where they may be coming from? Please help! I’ve had an exterminator spraying house also for the past 4 months.

Chesterfield County Virginia

I am posting the information about carpet beetle prevention from the Virginia Cooperative Extension Pest Management Guide. It sounds like you are doing the right things by thoroughly cleaning your house including kitchen cabinets, areas where pet food is stored if you own pets, heating and cooling ducts, and areas where clothes, fabric, or rugs are stored. Also, having a professional treat should help, but may not totally eliminate the problem if the source of the beetles remains. Since, I am on the opposite end of the state, I am not able to do an inspection. You may reach out to your local Chesterfield County Extension office, and see if they could recommend someone. The office number there is 804-751-4401.

Thank you for your response. Actually found a few larvae up under my washing machine, insane! Cleaned & sprayed real good so hoping that’s the end of them since I haven’t seen any more adults since.