weeping willow damaged by beaver

A large mature weeping willow tree was damage by a beaver last fall. Don't expect a return of beaver until ice in river is gone. I know how to prevent beave doing further damage. I am concerned on how I may assist the tree in surviving. The tree is large and the trunk is about 30+" diameter. The bark is gone about 20" high and about 25" around. This damaged area is taken from a picture sent me from a neighbor. From the picture it looks like only the bark has been removed. Thanks for any thoughts you may provide. Thanks Del

Carroll County Maryland wildlife willow plant care tree beaver damaged tree trunk saving willow damaged by beaver

Generally, trees cannot tolerate losing more than about 25% of the bark of their circumference. Here is a helpful page: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/how-do-you-decide-when-remove-tree

Willows can send up shoots from the base, and this may result from the beaver damage. You could choose the strongest shoot, remove the others and grow a new tree. Meanwhile, just try to water it during droughts. Do not stress it by fertilizing heavily.