Yard Bumps

I have a very sandy yard and I have an ever-growing pattern of "sand bumps" throughout my front yard. They vary from 1 to 3 inches high and 6 to 12 inches in diameter. They look like small ant hills but there are no ants or openings on top of the bumps. Originally I thought they might be caused by leaks in my water system from the city but city utilities came out and could not immediately find any issues. Someone suggested gophers or other ground animals but I'm seeing no openings in the bumps. Any thoughts?

El Paso County Colorado

Thank you for your question. My first thought is gophers. See link below - shows pictures of gopher mounds. I have gophers in my yard. The mounds do not have obvious openings. If, after looking at the information, you think gophers are not the issue, please send pictures and maybe the pictures will help me to ID the problem.

I've enclosed two photos of the yard mounds. I put a soda can in them to provide some idea of scale.

Thank you for the pictures; I think you have gophers on your property. I asked my husband to look at your photos, as he spends more time than he likes trapping gophers each year. He agrees - your mounds are the result of gophers. If you dig beneath the mounds and find tunnels, you can confirm this. As a Master Gardener I cannot endorse products, but I will say that we have successfully used Black Hole traps (there are many types of traps available on the market). Over the past two summers, my husband has trapped 90 gophers. Unfortunately, the gophers are still around. Cannot say when/if the problem will be solved. My husband will continue to trap them as long as is needed.

Black Hole Reusable Spring Loaded Gopher Trap for Outdoor Pest Control

Thank you for the information. I'll look up solutions like your traps.