grafting wax

I've always used commercial brands. Looking at YouTube recently I've seen where "pros" use all sorts of concoctions -- wound sealing paint, silicone caulk, paraffin wax, Elmer's wood glue (and it's replacement) -- with good results. Before I spend a lot of money on another couple pounds of the "commercial" goop, would you recommend something less expensive? Apple and pear trees.

Benton County Oregon grafting

As you have found, there are a boat load of grafting/budding materials. I looked for research to see if I could find a good report on evaluating the different materials and did not find one.

The old black asphalt - do not use.
Wax if heated/melted - can burn tissue.

Oregon Bag Company in Canby has a newer product that many of the bigger growers use. http://obcnw.com/docfarwellsdamagesealandhealquart.aspx

This is more of a latex paint than a wax. The key point is keeping the graft/bud union covered until the tissue connects without damaging the tissue or buds. The product is expensive but works well. Try the smaller bottle.