I was stung by a wasp from the hive shown in the attached photo, and had an allergic reaction. Therefore I am keen to identify the species. The photo is not very good because I was afraid to approach too closely, but hopefully there is sufficient detail for this purpose.
Thanks for the quick response. The nest was in my compost bin. As I pressed some dead plants down into the container, the wasps erupted from the bin and stung me several times.
I would estimate their size at about one inch or so, perhaps a bit less. These are not paper wasps (I have those too!), they are smaller than that. The nest appeared to be in the form of a disk.
I did in fact have a legitimate allergic reaction (confirmed by my doctor): precipitous drop in blood pressure, extreme dizziness, nausea, vomiting etc. No anaphylactic symptoms fortunately. This is the third time I have had a reaction, which becomes worse each time. I now carry an epipen.
i did actually have a
Thanks Ed. I had concluded it was some kind of ground-dwelling yellowjacket as well. It gets bloody cold here, and I had this particular nest destroyed by a pest control company, so at least that nest is gone. I also disassembled the compost bin. No doubt the queens will be back in the spring searching for housing anyway ... so it goes. Life in the country!