Wood chips used as mulch...good or bad idea?

Hi there, I live in Montgomery County and the county cut down a tree in our yard because it was bad. They give wood chips for free and I decided to save money on mulch and take the chips. Maybe this was a bad idea? They are not uniformly cut but most are small like mulch. One of my friends says it will attract carpenter ants all over the yard. What advise do you have? thanks so much

Montgomery County Maryland wildlife pest control ants carpenter ants

Here is our webpage about carpenter ants: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/carpenter-ants You'll notice that mulch is not in the lists of where carpenter ants nest.
You can safely use the mulch in your yard. Mulch dries out and is not attractive to carpenter ants-- or termites, for that matter.

Actually, it's vitally important to have ants in your yard. They tunnel in the soil, allowing oxygen and water to get down to plant roots, bring soil nutrients up higher so that plant roots can use them, clean up the debris in the landscape, plus other benefits. Be happy when you see ants running around, because they are improving your landscape.