Rising sun redbud leaves destroyed by cutter bees

Asked January 24, 2019, 11:45 AM EST

Hi. My newly planted redbud last year looked great and was thriving. It began to be eaten by cutter bees. After reading on line to just let it be the bees gradually ate all of the leaves. So I got insecticide and took care of getting rid of them. This worked. However now there are just a few leaves that are on the tree. Should I just wait for spring and hope that it will come back or is there something I can do?

Sarasota County Florida bees

Thank you for your question. It is sad that you had to use an insecticide to destroy these valuable, vanishing bees, as this article describes: http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/bees/leafcutting_bees.htm

Without seeing a photo of the plant, it is impossible to tell whether it will regrow foliage. But, if it doesn't, you won't have any bees to bother you! If you want to attach a photo of the plant, we can try to predict the future. Thank you.