What is this bug?

Asked January 19, 2019, 9:43 PM EST

I find these bugs every so often in my house/bedroom, usually crawling on my wall. I have never seen any larger than what is in the picture. It’s no bigger than the tip of a pen. Can anyone tell me what they are??

Carroll County Maryland

1 Response

These are a type of carpet beetle. They are a common pest of fabrics. The adult beetles you have in the photo do not feed on fabrics, but the young larvae do. You can vacuum and dispose of any beetles you see. Make sure natural fabric clothing and blankets (wool especially) is cleaned well before storage. The varied carpet beetles are scavengers that feed on lint, pet hair, crumbs, etc. You can find more information about carpet beetles here on our website. https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/carpet-beetles