Enclosers for female BP

Asked January 11, 2019, 1:26 AM EST

My ball python is still small as of now but I know she will grow in time, is it possible for me to keep her in a extra large tote or for me to even connect two totes together for her? Would be safe to use heating pads with these totes?

Clearfield County Pennsylvania reptile husbandry python regius ball python

Thank you for your question. Keeping a small ball python in a large enclosure can cause undue stress. They are more secure in smaller enclosures. Here's a link to a care sheet from Reptiles magazine that provides information on selecting an appropriate size enclosure, maintaining and feeding your ball python:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Snakes/Ball-Python/

Plastic totes or sweater boxes have become very popular as reptile enclosures primarily because they are easier to clean, easier to maintain required humidity levels and rack systems allow you to house several snakes in a relatively small space versus the glass aquarium with screen tops. Rack systems can have built-in heating systems, but I do not have any experience on safely heating a single plastic tote. I will contact a ball python breeder I know and get her opinion. I'll be back in touch as soon as I hear from her.

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim