Help on joining properties

Asked January 8, 2019, 12:56 AM EST

I want to buy some agricultural land that is against my residential land is it possible to combine the 2? The assessor told me plotted and unplotted land I would need a lawyer and would be difficult to do and cost me about 50k. Does this sound correct? Seems like a difficult process for 2 acres of land.

Monroe County Michigan

1 Response


Yes, this sounds accurate (not sure about the cost though). It is not possible to combine a metes and bounds parcel (the ag land in your case) with a platted lot in a subdivision (your residential lot) without amending the plat following an order from circuit court. If instead your residence sits on an unplatted parcel (i.e. it is not a lot within a platted subdivision), then the parcels can be combined more easily.

To combine an unplatted parcel with a platted lot would require filing a request in circuit court to amend the plat (bringing a completed resolution to the court as in MCL 560.221 through 560.229). Enlarging a plat to include an adjacent parcel of land is changing - i.e. amending - the plat. The Land Division Act also provides a simpler means of amending a plat if it is just to split a lot within the subdivision, done through local ordinance (Sec. 263).

Of course, both pieces of property can be owned by a single person and the local zoning ordinance may treat these adjacent properties as a single parcel for zoning purposes. Some zoning ordinances define “parcel”, or “lot” as any two contiguous parcel(s), lot(s), site-condo unit(s) with same ownership as one “parcel” or “lot.” While it will continue to be separate deeds, separate tax parcel number and thus separate tax bills – for zoning it could be one parcel or lot. It is all in how it is defined.

This is not legal advice and you are encouraged to consult with an experienced attorney.