Bending leaves on yucca plant

Asked January 5, 2019, 11:46 AM EST

Hi there! I just purchased this yucca plant from Home Depot about three weeks ago. I repotted it and have given it one substantial watering. I placed it in front of a south-facing window that gets a LOT of light. Within the last week or so, some of the leaves have started to bend. I'm worried that this could be a bad sign. How can I help it stay healthy? Also, after repotting, I realized I should have put the plant in a pot with better drainage (this one has none) and used a more sandy soil (I used regular potting soil). Will I stress the plant out too much if I repot it again? Note - there is a radiator near the plant. I'm not sure if that could be part of what's hurting it.

District of Columbia County District of Columbia houseplants plant care pot without drainage

That's a great looking yucca plant and those bending leaves are not of concern.

The soil-based potting mixture is also o.k., but all plants need drainage holes. Without them, roots sitting in water can't get oxygen and roots can rot.

We think you'd be fine to re-pot again. Use a pot with holes, which depending on what it's made of, you may want to place that pot into a larger, heavier container since these plants can become top heavy and want to tip. Otherwise, put a saucer under it, and in either case, don't allow it to sit in water for more than a half hour or so.

For best results know this:
Yuccas need bright light with at least 3 hours a day of direct sunlight. They can live, but not grow with less than that, which may be o.k. for you.

Normal room temps, and even those down to about 50 degrees at times is o.k.
If they can't get good winter light, it's o.k. for it to be on the cool side.

During the active growth period (spring thru fall) water well to keep the potting mixture thoroughly moist. Again, during winter, they rest a bit and don't need much at all.
They'd like a standard liquid fertilizer every two weeks during the active growth period and if you can, they like to be outside late spring through early fall, where they'd get 3+ hours of full sunlight each day.