Burning bush poisonous ?

Asked January 5, 2019, 11:06 AM EST

Good morning. My dog was very sick and we were unable to identify the cause. I have investigated my yard and we have two large burning bushes. Everything I am reading is they are highly toxic to dogs. The one bush is in a rock bed that we can’t really rake so there are tons of leaves and berries. Could this be a problem or concern. Thank you for your time. Dawn.

Ingham County Michigan poisonous plants burning bush

1 Response

It would probably be best to consult your veterinarian. I am not trained as a veterinarian, and cannot really address why your dog may have been sick, but there are a number of landscape and houseplants plants that if eaten, can be toxic to pets. Euonymus atropurpurea, commonly called spindle tree (and sometimes also called burning bush due to its bright red fall color), is closely related to Euonymus alata, also called burning bush. That is one of the challenges with common names. Euonymus atropurpurea is on the list of plants toxic to dogs, that is maintained by the ASPCA. https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/dogs-plant-list.
if you suspect that your dog is eating this plant it may be a good idea to replace it with something else.
I noticed that blackhaw viburnum, Viburnum lentago, is on a list of plants that are not toxic to dogs. it might be a good substitute if you need to make a replacement.