Growing berries.

My sister and family just moved to Juneau. I visited and love it! They have a fenced large backyard. Can they grow a berry bush? What kind of berries would you recommend for Juneau?

Juneau Alaska berries

There are many options for berries and other edible landscape plants that can thrive in Juneau!
That said, this is a very challenging and variable environment and it's always best to start with the low hanging fruit (sorry- couldn't resist) which include those species who naturalize readily such as raspberries, blueberries, currants, highbush cranberries or even salmon berries. Other, less common and a bit less reliable harvests, are strawberries and arctic kiwis.
We can have success with some apple and cherry varieties and of course the most reliable non-fruit-but-used-like-fruit to have (for those who like it) is rhubarb!
Have your sister get a hold of me at the Juneau, Cooperative Extension Office, for details on varieties, upcoming garden classes, etc.
Best,
Darren