Transplanting Roses

I have two well established roses planted in small patches in the sidewalk. There’s not a lot of room for either and they don’t get a lot of water during the summer. Plus, they’re exposed to the kids playing basketball on the street. I want to move them into the much larger flower bed along our driveway. When is the best time to do this?

Multnomah County Oregon transplanting roses horticulture

Hi, thanks for your question. Because roses are sensitive to shock it's best to transplant them in late winter or early spring while still dormant and before your regular spring pruning. You will need a large root ball so be ready for that. Dig the transplant hole wider all around than the circumference of the root ball and just deep enough to accomodate the root ball and keep the graft above ground level. Preparing the hole in advance is recommended so the plant is not out of the ground too long before being replanted.