Goat farming and starting a "goatscaping" business

I would like to talk with someone who has experience with goats for a "goatscaping" business in Portland Oregon area. I have a 20 acre farm that I would like to raise some goats and rent them out for landscape clearing in the Portland area. Looking for the best type of goats to raise as well as anyone with relative experience in raising goat herds for any similar business application. Charles Arnell 503-680-1477

Clackamas County Oregon sustainable gardening and landscaping small farms goats goatscaping

Hi Charles.

The conference organized by the Northwest Oregon Dairy Goat Association has a lot of sessions; I think you’ll find very useful information there. Plus, there will be a lot of goat people from around the Northwest to network with. It is February 23.

OSU Extension has a few publications that might be useful:

Living on the Land: Getting Started with Sheep and Goats

Living on The Land: Getting Started with Sheep and Goats—Building a Flock or Herd

Living on the Land: Getting Started with Sheep and Goats: Nutrition and Feeding

The Central Oregon Goat Association may be a good resource for finding stock. Likewise, there is the Emerald Dairy Goat Association down around Eugene.

If you haven’t already considered it, fiber goats (angora or cashmere) could be a possibility. Both types are being raised in Oregon.

Regarding your housing space per goat, I happened upon this, your exact question.

Feel free to contact me with additional questions.

Cheers,