What kind of spider is this? (Greece-Santorini)

Hello everybody and Merry Christmas to everybody, and a happy new year.
I found this spider to the island of Santorini in Greece, in a hotel close to the beach, outside.
Because it is black and moving slow like tarantulas, i kept it and feeding it from October 2018 untill now.
I want to know what kind of spider is this, and if it is toxic. Thank you.

Outside United States spider identification spiders of greece eresus sp

Merry Christmas!! Thank you for your question. It can be very difficult to identify insects and spiders based solely on a photograph, because you often can't make out characteristics necessary to make a positive identification.

Based on what I've been able to research on the spiders of Greece, I believe your spider is female and one of the velvet spiders in the family Eresidae, possibly Ereseus walckenaeri. These spiders are often referred to as ladybird spiders, because the males have bright red abdomens with black spots.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate much information on their natural history. Like most spiders, they are venomous, but I have not seen any reference to them posing a significant health risk to humans.

Here is a link that some basic information about the species in the family Eresidae, including the genus Eresus:

https://ednieuw.home.xs4all.nl/Spiders/Eresidae/Eresidae.htm

I hope this information helps, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim