White stuff in soil

Asked December 24, 2018, 3:02 AM EST

I have had several pepper plants in my raised bed develop wrinkled, shriveled leaves and look generally healthy at the growing tips with poor production. I pulled out several plants and noticed lots of white stuff in the soil, which could be the cause of all the plant issues in that area. What is it? How to deal with it?

Outside United States soil fungi

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to identify a soil pathogen without having information about your whereabouts, and being able to see it more clearly than these photos permit. I also don't know what type of soil you have in the raised beds (potting soil, native soil or a combination.) So, without being able to view this under a microscope, I can give you only a general article on soil bacteria and fungi. In light of your experience with plant problems, I suspect it is one of the pathogens described under 'Fungi groups': http://www.soilquality.org.au/factsheets/soil-bacteria-and-fungi-nsw