Loss of birds

Asked December 20, 2018, 8:44 AM EST

Why would ALL the birds in my yard/area disappeared? I have 4 feeders - 1 platform and 3 hanging that were being covered with birds. I had chickadees, sparrows, woodpeckers, blue jay's, cardinals, and more and squirrels. I would have 30 - 40 on the ground and on the feeder at any time. The birds even stayed in / covered the bushes next to my driveway. I check for cats -- no cats. Help

Eaton County Michigan wildlife wild bird feeders

There isn't always an easy answer - here are some things to check:
1. Are the feeders clean and full of fresh seed? Sometimes feeders get dirty or seed gets rancid and some birds will not eat it.
2. Is there more natural food available? Many years at this time, there is snow on the ground and natural food sources are covered. This year, there is very little snow cover in southern lower Michigan.
3. Are there any predators? You mentioned looking for cats, but they might be hiding better than your ability to find them. There could also be local dogs, foxes, or predatory birds that might be keeping the birds away.

Sorry I do not have a definite answer for you.