MYSTERY Plant ID

Hi experts! Below is a photo of the young shoots of a mystery plant in my DC yard. They look like that right now in mid December. But I doubt they are evergreen. They spread invasively by vigorous underground runners. I tried and failed to take it out last year. The plant does get tall to about 18” but I don’t remember a bloom thus summer. I have tried to id this plant but hereby give up. I hope you have an idea? Many thanks!

District of Columbia County District of Columbia weeds plant identification

This looks like mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris), which is a tough perennial weed that spreads by underground rhizomes. You can smother it with black plastic or layers of newspapers covered with mulch to deplete the root system. Additional options for control are provided on the following page of our website: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/mugwort

ckc

Thanks for your help. I will try the plastic but it’s amazing how far and wide the rhizomes spread.

You're welcome. Yes, mugwort is a tough one, unfortunately.

ckc