Flowers to Plant for Early October Bloom

Hello! I am researching some ideas for flowers I can plant this summer that ideally bloom in late september/the first weekend of October. We are hoping to offset some wedding costs by growing some of our flowers for our wedding on October 6. I know that goldenrods tend to bloom around then but im looking for some ideas on flowers as well as any special planting instructions: like waiting to plant them in July to delay blooms, etc. Let me know what you think! Thank you -

Baltimore Maryland normal growth flowers: annuals and herbaceous perennials flowers for october bloom bloom charts timing flower bloom

Perennials, such as goldenrod, usually do not bloom much, if at all, the first year after planting as their root systems are getting established. Plus, they would not be inexpensive per plant. You could certainly purchase them as potted plants (as you would purchase a poinsettia at Christmas) and use them as centerpieces--the ones that come to mind would be mums, asters. You could call a good garden center near you and ask what they typically would have available in the fall.

Annuals, such as begonias, lantana, salvia, marigold, verbena, and zinnias, would still look good in early October. Look online at annual bloom calendars.

Dahlias might be a good choice for you. They are spectacular in the fall and also showy. The trick would be go choose ones that are easy to grow and would bloom at the correct time. Speak with the source before you purchase bulbs.

If you do not have gardening experience, doing this might be a big undertaking. However, if you have a back-up source for flowers, should the plants have insect or disease problems for instance, then it may be worth a shot.