Are Chinese Elm Bonsai Poisonous to Cats?

Asked December 13, 2018, 7:46 AM EST

Hello, I recently received a Chinese Elm bonsai as an early Christmas present, and was wondering if it could be potentially poisonous to animals. I couldn't find any information online that definitively stated if it was or wasn't, so I thought I would reach out to see if MSU may have more information on it. I did see that people can eat the leaves of the Elm which makes me think they are probably safe, but there are plenty of instances where something is non-toxic for humans to consume but poisonous for pets. I've attached a picture I found online for an example of what the Chinese Elm bonsai looks like roughly, and if you need any more information to assist with this just let me know. Thanks in advance for your time, I really do appreciate it! Sincerely, Michael Melvin

Ingham County Michigan

I am not a veterinarian, and can't really answer with certainty about whether or not a plant is poisonous to a pet. I found a page on the ASPCA site that has a list of plants that are known to be either toxic or non-toxic to cats and Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia) was not on either list . https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/cats-plant-list . Perhaps your veterinarian might have additional resources to consult.