Testing acidity of sauerkraut for boiling water-bath canning

I have a large crock of sauerkraut that is almost done fermenting. I have friends who preserve their sauerkraut in jars processed in a boiling water bath. I'd like to do the same, but I'd like to know that my sauerkraut is acidic enough to be safe for this method. Is there a way to find out? Thanks.

Fairbanks North Star Borough Alaska food safety sauerkraut

Sure! The first thing to consider is how much salt you used during fermentation. If you followed an Extension recipe or a recipe close to it (3-3.5 Tablespoons of pickling salt per 5 lbs of cabbage) you are good to go for waterbath canning (10 min for pints, 15 min for quarts). If you used less salt than that, then you can get a digital pH meter for an existing batch of kraut, to see that the pH is below 4. Alternatively, you can refrigerate any existing batches and use the Extension recipe for future batches. Let me know if you need any clarification or have additional questions. And happy krauting!