Corn bags for pain relief

I want to make microwavable corn bags for Christmas gifts. I have one of my own and I love it! I had thought I'd get a bag of dried corn for pellet stoves, but no one in my area seems to have them. So... I bought a bag of cherry pits instead. I filled one of my fabric bags with the pits (they smell like potting soil!) and microwaved it, but it smells bad. I tried washing the pits, but they still smell bad. Is there a difference between dried corn for pellet stoves and dried corn for feeding squirrels? Any other suggestions?

Antrim County Michigan corn human health stress

Thank you for your question. I am sorry for the delay in getting you an answer. I'm not sure this is a question Extension covers (more of a DIY one!) The major distinction among corn varieties, insofar as this area is concerned, is not using popping corn, which will create entertaining microwave reactions. I have been unable to find any research-based information on the differences between pellet stove corn and wildlife/animal feed corn, but some who post on the Internet indicate they are interchangeable. Unlike cherry pits, the corn should not smell, but these bags need to be monitored while in the microwave. Here is what one commercial manufacturer says about safety instructions for their products: https://www.cornbagwarmers.com/heating-cleaning/

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!