Restoring or replacing my lawn

I have a rental property I have recently taking possession of where the lawn is in disrepair. We are in the process of overhauling the home (lots of money) to put on the market for sale in February or March. The back lawn had waste deep weeds which we mowed down. There is still grass, but the lawn doesn't look good. I have been looking at replacing or overseeding the lawn and am getting mixed information. Some are telling me to do it now and others are saying to wait. Some are suggesting a full spectrun of services like aeration, fertilizer, power raking, liquid moisture manager, insecticide, slit overseed, and organic compost for around $928. Others are suggesting only aeration, fertilizer, broadcast overseeding, and organic compost for around $315. Others are saying to scrape and resod for $2,800. I'm not sure what I should do or if i should do anything. I am also not sure if I should do it now or early next year. I am looking for suggestions.

Arapahoe County Colorado lawns and turf

Hello there, and thank you for your question.

The answer to your most important question is NO. Do not reseed or sod now. Anything that survives now, will likely die from winter kill over the winter.

The question to sod or seed is a good one. Installing sod will require more work up front in terms of preparation. It will cost more, but the results will be better quicker. Seeding will require less preparation and is cheaper, but will require more effort once it is sown. (Keeping the seed moist for germination is one requirement. You'll also need to do more weeding.) So take those factors into consideration.

Here is a fact sheet that details what you need to do in either case.

http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/renovating-the-home-lawn-7-241/

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Good luck.