Blue Prince turning Green???

Asked December 3, 2018, 10:51 AM EST

I planted some new Blue Prince Hollies and, upon placing them next to some of the older ones, noticed that the older ones no longer had that dark blue-green coloring. They've slowly morphed and now are plain green. Why? What can I do to have their original coloring return? I really like the dark blue green w/the purple-y black stems. Many thanks!

Anne Arundel County Maryland shrubs holly normal growth blue prince holly blue holly lost color

While some sources refer to Blue Prince's blue-green color, most describe its color as dark green. We suspect that there is a slight range of leaf tones within the variety Blue Prince.

It's possible that older plants may have greener foliage and the amount of sunlight it receives could also affect leaf color to a degree. We can't say for sure what affected your Blue Prince, so we can't recommend any particular solution for the color change.

References also do not mention a black stem on Blue Prince (though it is prominent on Blue Stallion). Sometimes varieties get mixed up and mislabeled in the nursery.